Identifying the end of a file transfer

Richard Miller wow at together.net
Thu May 18 09:20:25 EDT 2006

I've got one stack sending a file out to server, and a separate stack
(on a separate machine) scanning the server for the availability of
that file. When it sees it, it needs to retrieve it from the server.

Problem is, this second stack is seeing the availability of the file
BEFORE it has completely transferred onto the server. If it starts
retrieving it when it first sees it, well... the result isn't good.

Is there any simple way for the second stack to know the file
transfer is complete before it starts accessing this file? I realize
I could have the first stack send a small "flag" file out to the
server after the original file was transferred, and the second stack
could wait until it sees that flag... but I'm wondering if there
isn't some easier way.

Thanks.
Richard Miller
Imprinter Technologies