Modeless application

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Wed May 17 23:33:00 EDT 2006

On 5/18/06, Cat Kutay <ckutay at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> All
> I am running a modeless help window off a basic system. When the user
> slects a help option, the window is not updating.
> I can use
> start using stack "X"
>   go to stack X  as modeless
> stop using stack "X"
>
> and cathc the on libararyStack message. Is there a better way
> Then in the standalone application is is just not updating the modeless
> card, even though it works in development mode
> Help :-)

You shouldn't need to use "start using" unless the stack in question
has handlers in it's stack script that you want to be able to access
from any other stack. If you just need to display information in your
modeless stack, the "go to stack..." is fine.

However I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say the window is
not updating. A modeless stack is not editable, so no new data can be
typed in. Are you trying to display different information depending on
a click somewhere else? Is the stack appearing?

Or is the problem that the stack doesn't retain new data when the
standalone is closed? It won't do this unless the stack is a separate
file and you send a "save this stack" command to it.

We need more data... :-)

Cheers,
Sarah