images in cross-platform stacks

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue May 16 23:47:51 EDT 2006

Phil Davis wrote:
> What happened was the screenGamma, since my image is a PNG file.
> Rev's screenGamma is a color? or brightness? or ??? adjustment
> factor applied only to PNG files. The screenGamma defaults are 1.7
> for Mac and 2.2 for Windows. (I don't know what they are for Linux.)
>
> I then used a graphics tool to convert it to JPG, and re-imported
> it into a Rev stack. The new image object's color is 145,145,145.
>
> Cause identified!

While the cause is identified, I'm unable to identify the logic behind it.

Screen gamma is a function of display, not file format.
GraphicConverter doesn't shift the colors when it displays PNGs.

Rev doesn't alter the display of JPEGs or GIFs -- why single out PNGs in
this way, and why try to adjust for screen gamma when the screen is
already doing anything that needs to be done there?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation