Playing mp3 on Windows (XP Embedded)

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Tue May 16 14:57:58 EDT 2006

I'm trying to play some mp3 audio files from Revolution on Windows.

I've finally got a stack which works OK on my Virtual PC Windows 2000, and on
a Windows XP machine, in both cases under StackRunner (the old 2.6 variant).
In both cases these are machines without Quicktime, so it's definitely (if I
understand things correctly) being played through WMP.  I also set "dontUseQT"
on openStack.

When I attempt to use the stack on my actual target machine, which is running
Windows XP Embedded, at the point that my stack attempts to set the filename
of the player object to the path to the file, the result is "could not open
video player".

Audioclips embedded in the stack play fine on this machine. Windows Media
Player is on the machine, and can play the test mp3 file fine. However,
Windows Media Player was not originally installed as part of the OS: it was
downloaded subsequently, so it may not be in the expected location - whatever
that is.

Questions:

a) is there anywhere on Windows that Revolution logs details of problems it
experiences - on the Mac I know that I can use the Console app to view a log
which is very helpful in debugging issues with eg database drivers, is there
an equivalent on Windows?

b) does Windows Media Player need to be installed in a particular location for
Rev to be able to use it?

c) are there any other tips, known gotchas, etc?

TIA,

   Ben Rubinstein               |  Email: benr_mc at cogapp.com
   Cognitive Applications Ltd   |  Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
   http://www.cogapp.com        |  Fax  : +44 (0)1273-728866