Server permissions

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Tue May 16 09:03:21 EDT 2006

On 5/15/06 10:27 PM, "Bill Vlahos" <bvlahos at mac.com> wrote:

> How can I determine the permissions on a server share/volume? I would
> like to document the server permissions on our file servers (both Mac
> OS X Server and Windows 2000 and 2003 servers).

Well, for OS X, you can get the permissions by scripting the shell using the
"ls" command on the file(s) in question and then parsing the result. (See
http://www.zzee.com/solutions/unix-permissions.shtml for more details.)

For Windows servers, I'm not so sure how to get this info, although you can
get the owner for each file with 'dir /q' through the shell...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com