Cool online example stacks?

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sat May 13 21:25:53 EDT 2006

OK Devin:

Your call for internet enabled stacks inspired me to dust off
something I made starting in 1999 with metacard.  I had a day off at
the ocean and took time to "play" and bring these up to speed.

You can find it in my user space in Rev Online or just go

go stack url "http://www.himalayanacademy.com/studyhall/hakey.rev"

in the msg box.

It's components are

hakey.rev

  This is "splasher-downloader" stack that one might build into a
stand alone. The concept is this stack  never needs updating.

The above one is what you would start your demo with...   note  the
randomly downloaded background picture...

haportal.rev

The above stack downloads this one, which is the main index, a small
set of online stacks.

disclaimer: I am not a programmer or a UI designer... I know I have
made a lot or aweful blunders in the UI here that I am not even aware
of... so you can tell  your audience... "this was build  by someone
who has no training in programming and only knows one language...
xTalk, completely self-taught"  Of course it  helps to have been
playing with xTalk since the  day we unpacked our first macs in '83
or was it 86? tinkerer that  I was and still am the second thing I
did after turning  that thing on was to boot hypercard... that was
it, joyfully swallowed hook line and sinker ....

Constructive criticism welcome... surprisingly, after 7 years, this
whole concept is still very solid. I just never had time to pursue it
much... as there's so much pressure to do everything inside
browsers... but that is changing.

have fun... if you find anything that needs fixing let me know!

glaring gap in this whole model: there is no updating functions...
and everything is build on the concept that the stack is downloaded
on line each time. POINT: this model means the developers (teachers)
update stacks on the web server and the next access updates the
users. There is no sophisticated "Magic Carpet" mechanism... here...
and there probably needs to be, at least minimally, for the HAKEY.rev
stack that drives everything...

Of course users can save stacks to their hard drive, but I removed
for the  "Open modules locally" from the interface for now...

Sivakatirswami