Send Keys

Russ McBride russmcb at tsw.berkeley.edu
Thu May 11 14:34:24 EDT 2006

Well, AppleScript syntax blows and figuring out the syntax needed to
reference an object in an unknown object hierarchy blows even
harder.  UI browser will show you the object hierarchy and also
generate a reference to the object in Applescript, saving you a lot
of grief.

It won't be that helpful though if you're trying to script an
application that is both not applescriptable and was not programmed
to register it's objects through the normal channels.  I had to write
a PHP script once that called an Applescript that had to punch a user
name and password into a crusty old application after opening it.  In
the end I just figured out the coordinates of the text field and then
used extrasuites to go to that location and start typing.  Worked
great.  I thought extra suites was pretty cool.

You should be able to do whatever you need to do even with a
recalcitrant target application because you can use the finder to
start the app, and then brute force your way to domination of the
application using the virtual keyboard and mouse controls.

What are you doing exactly?

Best,
russ

Russ McBride