Use an iPod as a USB drive ?

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Thu May 11 07:56:55 EDT 2006

Alex,

I think this is all misleading to you. You do not need to instal the
music files twice. If you copy the files to the HD of the iPod you
CAN play them on a remote computer!!!

It is pretty straight forward. The ipod has two sides to it. The
first side is the side that the firmware hides from you and that is
the iPod software that lets you listen to music on the ipod itself
and the second side if enabled is access to the hard drive it self
which is visible to you when you plug the ipod into your computer.
These two sides are separate.

Now if you want to transport an application or document or a music
file to another computer and you do not care if they have iTunes
installed then you would want to use the HD side and just drag the
file to the iPod in your computer. But if you want to listen to the
music file as well 'on the ipod' then you might consider installing
the music file via iTunes. But to listen to the music file from the
computer either way will work. It is only whether or not you have
iTunes installed on the remote computer and whether or not you want
to use it to listen/copy the song to that computer that matters.

If you just want to listen to the music file on another computer you
can do it either way. So if the other computer has itunes on it then
you can use itunes to put the file on the ipod and you can use itunes
to listen to the music. BUT if you are not sure and want to play it
safe then just copy the file to the HD of the ipod and when you get
to the other computer just copy the music file to iTunes or any Music
player directly and you will be able to hear it on that computer.

  I do this for transporting some of our sound loops and have always
put a back up of our presentations on the HD of the ipod. Where as I
use iTunes to install the music I want to listen to 'on the ipod'.

HTH

Tom