Put URL failing -- HTTP header problems?

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Wed May 10 19:04:58 EDT 2006


On May 10, 2006, at 5:53 AM, Rob Cozens wrote:

> Sannyasin,
>
>> I think I am close the source of the problem which at this point I  
>> take to be the spurious introduction of "char[13]" into what  
>> should be line delimited lists. Where this char(13) is present in  
>> a GET request URL, libURL fails. (of course)
>>
>>
>
> numToChar(13) is included in the text returned by:
>
> 	  put URL tStartURL into tMainListing
>
> Aloha!

Right... as suspected... The team at the Palm & Cycad Societies of  
Australia must use Macs... perhaps even old macs. Thus their web  
pages include char (13) an old problem my own *nix team members would  
gripe about  "Hey! Your files are one long line!" (smile)

But then, is it normal behavior? when parsing such a page thusly:

  put URL tStartURL into tMainListing
     REPEAT for each line x in tMainListing
         IF x contains "/palms/"  THEN # we got one for sure
             put x & cr after tPalmList
         END IF
     END REPEAT

for char(13) to passed along with "each line" to x ??

At any rate.. periodic use of

     replace numtoChar(13) with "" in tGenusListing


in the script whereever the content was being passed from the web  
page cured the problem... because it appears that char(13) is making  
it all the way thru this routine right into the last variable.

      put URL tStartURL into tMainListing
     REPEAT for each line x in tMainListing
         IF x contains "/palms/"  THEN # we got one for sure
             put x & cr after tPalmList
         END IF

     END REPEAT

     --check it out
     delete line 1 to 2 of tPalmList
     delete line -1 of tPalmList

put  "<[^><]*>" into tRex
     put replacetext(tPalmList, tRex, "") into tPalmsList
     replace " " with "" in tPalmsList

     REPEAT for each line x in tPalmslist
         put "http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/" before x
         put x & cr after tGenusListing
     END REPEAT

     # OK at this  point an examintion of tGenusListing shows
# presence of char(13) at the end of each instance of x in that variable

  # fix

     replace numtoChar(13) with "" in tGenusListing

Anyway, case closed for now... tha caveat being: it appears there are  
contexts within Rev where char(13) is not translated to char (10) (I  
thought this was automatic)  where the data is piped in from libURL  
and not being read from disk.  This analysis could be wrong.. I don't  
know enough about it.. other than to know there is a line end snake  
pit there somewhere:


Sivakatirswami

Dave: yes, wiping char (13) in url string could help, but I think we  
are talking a complete data file  here...

Tereza: Yes, manipulating vars inside repear for each loops can be  
nasty... but it's not the issue here.


>
> Rob Cozens
> CCW, Serendipity Software Company
>
> "And I, which was two fooles, do so grow three;
> Who are a little wise, the best fooles bee."
>
> from "The Triple Foole" by John Donne (1572-1631)
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your  
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution




More information about the Use-livecode mailing list