Rev and Windows local networking

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Wed May 10 12:53:17 EDT 2006

Kurt-

> I then altered the network TCP/IP setting on all of the PCs from "Obtain an
> IP address automatically" to using a manually entered address.  This has
> apparently solved the problem.
> The networked Rev program works again.

> Is there anything I have to watch out for here?  I had to manually enter a
> default Gateway as well as a preferred DNS server; will this fail if the DSL
> "modem" is reset?  The DSL is set up using a dynamic address.

(adding to Alex's good advice)

If you are assigning static IP addresses to your locally networked
computers (and this is a good thing btw) *and* you have dhcp enabled
on your router, make sure you are assigning addresses outside the dhcp
address pool. For example, if the router will assign addresses
between 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.150, you can safely assign a
computer an address of 192.168.1.5 but 192.168.1.101 will get you into
trouble some day.

...but I have to ask: does Zone Alarm give you any protection that the
firewall built into the router doesn't already do? I ask because I've
only ever seen Zone Alarm or the builtin Windows firewall cause
connection problems on computers that are already behind firewalls.
For my money, I would dump ZA and let the router do its thing.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net