[OT] Routerless Network?

David Vaughan dvk at dvkconsult.com.au
Tue May 9 20:31:32 EDT 2006

On 10/05/2006, at 9:15, Mark Schonewille wrote:

> FYI, it is not necessary to use VPC for that. On the PC side, I
> have Client for MS Networks installed, together with the correct
> ethernet drivers. I have also a TCP/IP protocol defined for that
> Ethernet driver, with the correct IP number and subnet mask. Then I
> turned on file sharing and set the properties of an entire hard
> disk partition such as to share it with the local network.
>
> On the Mac, I configured TCP/IP manually and turned on Windows
> sharing.

Indeed, either should work, and Scott's O'Reilly reference shows the
flexibility. Personally i would define the IP addresses (like Mark)
rather than using self-assigned addresses, and would share the PC and
connect from the Mac end. You do not have to share both. However,
Scott's last post on his lack of success on something which should
work readily leaves me at a bit of a loss to troubleshoot it remotely
and without information on machines, versions, settings and so on.
Probably quicker to use iPodNet or thumbDriveNet or connect the PC to
the airport.

I was optimistic earlier when I said Macs "three to five" years old
should do the auto-crossover trick. I think it might only have come
in with the PB17 three years ago and then spread to later models.

regards
David