[OT] Routerless Network?

Bill bill at bluewatermaritime.com
Tue May 9 12:55:06 EDT 2006

Thanks for your clear instructions. I just taped them to the monitor for my
XP box as I can never get that thing to be on the network consistently. I
also absolutely hate window's wizards and while I'm at it why is Outlook
such a bad program while Entourage written by the same people works so nice?

I have considered one of those ethernet network drives but I have never seen
one that mounts to both windows XP and OS X simultaneously (besides a
windows box doesn't cost much more). While I'm complaining those window's
boxes seem to just get slower and slower the more you use them. Mine is so
slow now I use Virtual PC on my Mac instead because, believe it or not, that
is faster! Windows XP must just load up with background processes invisibly.

On 5/9/06 12:28 PM, "Richmond Mathewson" <geradamas at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a Pentium 3 running Windows XP and a G4 Mirror Door running Mac OSX
> 10.4.6 - they are networked together via a Switch/Hub (this is not a router)
> using Ethernet:
>
> The settings for the XP box are as follows:
>
> Properties> Internet protocol (TCP/IP); IP address 10.0.0.29
>
> Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
>
> other settings left empty
>
> The settings for the Mac OSX box are similar:
>
> Subnet Mask 10.0.0.1
>
> Subnet: 255.255.255.0
>
> Windows networking is allowed, as is sharing.
>
> An ethernet cable runs out of the LAN port of the PC into the SWITCH,
> another ethernet cable does the same between the MAC and the SWITCH.
>
> On your XP desktop create a new SHORTCUT,
>
> in the XP shortcut WIZARD type \\10.0.0.1\ScottRossi where 'ScottRossi' is the
> exact name of your normal user account on the MAC box,
>
> the WIZARD will then ask you to give the SHORTCUT a name (e.g. Rossi's box),
>
> when you double click on the SHORTCUT for the first time it will ask you for
> the password of the user account on the MAC,
>
> then it will open the user account of the MAC as a normal browser window on
> the XP desktop:
>
> you can then drag-n-drop files and folders in both directions to your heart's
> content.
>
> sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

> "Philosophical problems are confusions arising owing to the fluidity of
> meanings users attach to words and phrases."
>                                        Mathewson, 2006

            |    |    |
           )_)  )_)  )_)
          )___))___))___)\