copy file on Mac

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon May 8 23:21:48 EDT 2006

Chipp Walters wrote:

> Richard Gaskin mentioned you can *force* a file launch *sometimes* ;-)
> by using the get info for a filetype, choosing which application and
> then pressing the "Change All.." button.
>
> I tried this on a single file, and it did seem to work. I'm hoping Apple
> will come to it's senses soon and fix this eratic and un-standard behavior.

But my tip only reliably addresses files with no type, such as
downloaded files.  When we spoke I had forgotten that RR sets the file
type by default to "TEXT", so doing that Get Info trick on an .xls file
set to "TEXT" may produce unexpected results (does that affect files of
the same type or files with the same extension?  Or did the Mac team and
the NeXT team ever settle their little fight over that yet?)

As Sarah pointed out, it's more reliable to first set the file type to
empty before writing a file whose extension is known but whose Finder
type may not be. If you know the file type of course you can just set
that before writing.

> <rant>
> Our development of altBrowser and other externals on the Mac takes more
> than 10X the resources (our time) for the PC.
> Not to mention, they release a whole new version of the OS every year or
> so. Geez.
> </rant>

Hang on to your seat -- about the time developers begin to recover from
the devastating losses from the one-two-three punch in the face of
68k->PPC, Classic->OS X, and most recently PPC->Intel, Apple may
possibly replace the file system:

    Apple is reportedly interested in porting Sun's Solaris
    "ZFS" filesystem to Mac OS X, and is seeking community
    assistance -- the ZFS team at Sun is reportedly pleased
    and fully supports the effort being spearheaded by Chris
    Emura, Apple's Filesystem Development Manager.
    <http://www.macosrumors.com/>

Don't worry.  They wouldn't dream of putting all the hurdles out at one
time.  It creates much more artificial demand for otherwise-unnecessary
upgrades to space these transitions out.  Where would third parties be
in the Apple world if not for the last three artificial-demand cycles?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal