Sort-of OT: Learning Python / Ruby

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon May 8 19:55:17 EDT 2006

Russ McBride wrote:

> Hey Geoff,
>
> Thanks for the link.  I always appreciate those kinds of posts.  I
> don't think I've heard a whole lot of great things about wxWidgets.

Hmmm - how odd that we've heard such different things :-)

I believe that wxWidgets does a better job of producing GUI apps that
look and feel native to the platform than anything else I've seen or
used  (including Rev).  (of course, doesn't include OS9)

> As a sidenote-- a lot of people who've used Python have moved to Ruby
> and a lot of people who've been stuck using Java have fallen in love
> with Ruby (me included).  Simple, powerful, clean syntax, great
> development community.  Truly a joy to program in.  My (long-term)
> goal is to be able to mix Transcript and Ruby in my runrev apps.  If
> anyone has any ideas or pointers about writing an external to do this
> I'm keenly interested!

I'd be surprised if that was (practically) doable, in the traditional
sense of an external. You could certainly use what I called "remotes" -
i.e. socket-based communication from Rev GUI to a Ruby process - and the
overhead should be fairly small (you could even use UDP sockets and for
the most part ignore the possibility of packet loss, so getting very
minimal overhead). I've done that in a few cases (though using Python
rather than Ruby), and it has let me do projects that would have been
much harder in either one language than they were in the combination of
the two.