Enhancements in your opinion?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon May 8 12:19:23 EDT 2006

On 5/8/06 11:04 AM, "Bob Warren" <bobwarren at howsoft.com> wrote:

> 1) A new handler in 2 possible forms:
>
> on run
> on browse
>
> 2) A new button called "Standalone Test" or just "Test".
>
> -------------------
>
> The handler in 1) would be executed when the operator clicked on the
> toolbar's "browse (run)" button. It would also be executed on a single
> occasion at the startup of the standalone version of the program.

Well, we have the "newTool" message, which is sent when a tool is chosen, so
it could be used to detect when the browse tool is selected:

on newTool pTool
  if pTool is "Browse" then
    ... (etc.)
  end if
end newTool

However personally I'd like to see that message have an alternate version
called "toolChanged" to go along with "nodeChanged", "selectionChanged", and
"selectedObjectChanged".

And you could use the "startup" message to trap the starting up of your
standalone, since it is only sent to the first stack that is opened from the
engine (either the first RevIDE stack (if in the IDE), or the stack opened
first in your standalone).

Would these cover the bases of (1) for you?

> The action of the button in 2) would be to a) hide the project stack
> etc. in the IDE; b) compile the standalone in temp form; c) execute the
> temp standalone by means of a shell call; d; re-show the project stack
> etc. upon termination of the shelled temp standalone.

I think this is a great idea - just a little extension of the current
standalone building function. Perhaps it could be just that... an option
after building the standalone that says "Run the standalone?"

Just brainstorming...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/