How Computers Really Work: A Children's Guide

Jeffrey Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Mon May 8 00:33:12 EDT 2006

Judy,

Interesting article. Actually, I have been amazed at how well kids
understand the workings of computers compared to even heavily
computer using adults! Also the kids usually grok this stuff when
they dont know it pretty quickly, but i have explained some simple
concepts to adults over and over and they never seem to get it. I
guess it probably has to do with the kids growing up with computers
as something there all the time so the concepts are not as abstract
to them. But i do agree that it is an important concept that the
modern student needs to have a firm grasp on, especially as computing
gets more ubiquitous in the future.

Yes this would be something easily done in Rev. The biggest hurdle is
content creation, its a big subject to be taken on here. This is why
you see so many of these kinds of prototype projects/grants, but
fewer of actual finished products that are done well, its just
expensive to do the necessary content creation and production work.

The content could be very engaging and since its all connected
material/concepts it would be something that would keep drawing you
through the content (some subjects its hard to make clear paths that
kids can follow or explore).

I would be interested in working on something like this if we could
get the other talents needed (like writing and art) lined up. I have
designed and produced many multimedia apps like this and am always on
the lookout for interesting content that is needed and crying to be
taught well.

I wish gonick would do a cartoon guide to computers, he would nail it
and make it fun for kids and adults alike!

cheers,

jeff reynolds

On May 7, 2006, at 1:00 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com