The QT player in a standalone

Dr. Robert E. Ball reball at redshift.com
Fri May 5 01:49:34 EDT 2006

On 5/4/06 5:14 PM, "Sarah Reichelt" <sarah.reichelt at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/5/06, Dr. Robert E. Ball <reball at redshift.com> wrote:
>> I am unable to successfully develop a standalone (on a Mac with OS 10.4.6
>> using Rev 2.7.1) from a stack containing a QT player. The stack works fine
>> in the IDE and properly plays the video. No problems. However, when I try to
>> build a standalone, no matter where I put the external QT file, with the
>> appropriate location given in the Copy Files in the Standalone Application
>> Settings, the standalone builder either does not attach the file as part of
>> the application package, or even when it occasionally does attach it, the
>> app doesn't play it. (I couldn't make a standalone that worked correctly in
>> 2.5.1 either.) I can't find any information/tutorial on how to do this
>> correctly.
>

> I did a test using a button to locate the movie file as follows:
>   answer file "Select a movie file:"
>   put it into tFile
>   if tFile is not empty then set the filename of player "Player" to tFile
>
> This worked perfectly in Rev 2.7.1 with Mac OS X 10.4.6, so I suspect
> it is a file path problem and your app is not pointing to the correct
> movie file.
>
> For testing, I suggest you try two things:
> 1. add a button that just reports the filename of the player object so
> that you can see exactly where it thinks the file should be.
> 2. add another button that does what my test script does. That way you
> will be able to confirm that the player object does what you want.
>
> HTH,
> Sarah

Hello Sarah -- thank you so much for taking the time to help me out. If I
wasn't going to distribute my standalone program to others, your suggestion
would work. But I do intend to distribute it, so the QT files must be an
internal part of the application package.

Thus, my problem was not finding the absolute path to a QT file on my hard
disk from the standalone application. My problem was getting the standalone
builder to include the QT files in the standalone package, and then getting
the standalone application to point to the files in the application package
and play them.

However, thanks to your suggestion, I was able to determine the solution to
my problem. When I put the QT files in the same folder as the stack file and
I added the files in the Copy Files in the Standalone Application Settings
and located the player files in the Inspector, the file path was relative to
the stack file, the QT files were not included in the standalone package,
and (of course) the players in the standalone application didn't play. On
the other hand, when I put the QT files in another folder, the file path in
the Copy Files and the player files in the Inspector were absolute, the
files were included in the standalone package, and it worked like a charm.
Your suggestion to locate the file path using a button (in the standalone
application) resulted in an absolute file path -- which led me to try out
other locations for the QT files that resulted in absolute file paths in the
Copy Files and player Inspector. Thank you.

I sure wish Revolution would prepare a tutorial on the use of external
files.

Bob

--
Robert E. Ball, PhD