Extracting PICT resources

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Tue May 2 22:19:20 EDT 2006

Thanks to Stephen, Sarah and Mark.

Your notes jogged by memory, and I dug into my old XCMD collections.
Kevin Calhoun's ClipToPict XCMD in the Dartmouth collection, and
resPictToClip ClipToPictFile from HyperExternals Pro (Heizer
Software!) did the trick.

The Rev getResource() function only sort of worked, so I went to an
all HyperCard solution. After all these years I'm still amazed by
HyperCard and all the geniuses who made it do magic.

By the way, my foray back into HC really made me appreciate the Rev
IDE interface, despite the nitpicking we indulge in here at times.

Thanks.

Devin

On May 2, 2006, at 5:21 PM, Stephen Barncard wrote:

> I'll check my list of old XCMDS....there should be something that
> converts PICT resources into PICT files.... there's all kinds of
> resource xcmds out there.
>
> You'll have to do the conversion in Hypercard  'cause  those won't
> work in Rev.
> I have a collection called 'Clip To Pict' which has an x called
> 'Clip to Pict File'...
>
> I know all the functions of 'Rescopy' were also broken out into
> different x's.
>
> do you want me to find, stuff and make those available to you?
>

> sqb
>

>> I'm converting an old Hypercard app to Revolution. That app used
>> PICT resources in stacks to store images. There are hundreds of
>> them. Before I start doing them one by one in Photoshop, does
>> anyone know whether I could write a rev stack to automate this?
>> I've looked at the commands that work with Mac Classic resource
>> forks, but I don't know enough about how they're structured to try
>> to extract just the PICT resources. Has anyone tried anything like
>> this? Failing that, is there existing software that does this?
>> I've tried GraphicConverter, which purports to do batch
>> conversions, but I couldn't make it work with PICT resources.

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University