CSV and REV?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon May 1 21:29:40 EDT 2006

Garrett Hylltun wrote:

> I'm trying to setup a small CSV editor.  I was using the itemdel and
> setting it to a comma, but that's not good enough for working with CSV
> files since most use a quote comma quote separation which allows
> commas to be used within the item.
>
> In another language I used, I was able to set the item delimiter to
> more than one character which worked wonderfully for CSV files, but I
> tried using three characters as the itemdel and that's a no go.
>
> Does anyone know if there's a tutorial floating round for using CSV
> files in Rev?

Not a tutorial as such - but there was a long and fruitful discussion
that can be found in the archives (June and July 2004, under the subject
line "Another Revolution Success Story").

My summary : If possible and practical, use TSV instead (tab separated
values).

If it needs to be CVS, then find this thread in the archives. There's
code in there to handle the more common cases, and there was some
discussion on just how weird and varied the different versions of "csv"
can be. If you want to skip the discussion and go straight to the code -
see Richard Gaskin's posting in that thread on July 1st 2004