ODBC connection to MS SQL 2000 help needed

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Fri Mar 31 02:34:37 EST 2006

mfstuart-

> I voted on this bug using RevZilla.
> BTW: how many times can one vote on a bug?

You're allowed five votes per bug.

> Well, after reading the bug Description, I’m getting a little disappointed with Rev Studio
> for database access. I’m loving the rest of the features, but
> these are serious flaws in the product
> from a company that markets their software as a RAD database development tool.

Yes. So far for any realworld database project I've taken on I've had
to use other tools than rev. I'd love to build db frontends with it,
but it's just not up to snuff.

> Here’s a snippet from the following RunRev web site that drew me to finally buy the product:
> http://revstudio.runrev.com/you_can_make.php#enterprise

>>From the 3rd paragraph of the 4th section titled “Rapid prototyping & database GUIs”:

> “With full support for databases, including access to open source databases such as MySQL,
> you can build a custom database solution for your business in minutes.
> Access the database using our point and click tools. Add more complex functionality or
> get right down to the SQL itself. Add any level of client functionality,
> making your solution perform like a true application.”

All that is true. I built a test harness for the database functions
and MySQL comes through fine. If you don't absolutely *need* odbc
functionality you might consider going with MySQL or SQLite. Or
Valentina (I had to beat Ruslan to the draw here...). If you have real
clients with existing odbc databases then you're better off with some
other frontend tool.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net