OT: Apple at 30 - My Piece of the Big Fruit

David Vaughan dvk at dvkconsult.com.au
Thu Mar 30 18:28:49 EST 2006

On 31/03/2006, at 8:28, Robert Brenstein <rjb at robelko.com> wrote:

> We had Apple III (yes, the ill-fated 3 not 2) in the p-chem lab and
> nobody knew what to do with it, so I got a free rein in using it.
> That was a few years before Lisa and Macs.

The Mac did not appear in Australia until 1985. We opened our first
company in 1984 and were handed the Lisa, so after playing with that
I was pretty disappointed with the Mac. I avoided it until
Multifinder arrived, then, being the technical arm of our company, I
grabbed an SE/30 while the others were using SE II and started on
HyperCard.

One of our clients, a partner at a medium accounting firm, for years
drafted all his documents on a Mac Plus using MacPaint (yes, Paint,
not Write) before handing them to his PA to type up. He just loved
the ease of use :-)

When in the mid-90s the huge mining company by which I was then
employed decided to standardise on Windows PCs, I had such a wealth
of software which was now vital to the analysis and modelling work I
did that I alone was allowed to hang on to my Mac and just connect
into their network with SoftPC and later VirtualPC. Despite the
gloomy prognostications of my good friends at the time, Apple revived
and since 2000 my very small business has been supported very well by
our all-Apple computing power (portables, XServe, wireless and that
most important hard disk backup tool, iPod :-) ) regardless of what
our clients use.

If they can just keep going another thirty years then I should be
sufficiently dead not to worry about their third term ;-)

cheers
David