OT: Apple at 30 - My Piece of the Big Fruit

jeffrey reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Thu Mar 30 14:56:45 EST 2006

I remember getting my 2mb upgrade for my SE to go to 2.5mb in 1988.
it cost $350 through the berkeley education program (i was a grad
student then). it was right when there was that short, but big,
memory price spike (i think it was a fake shortage thing by some
overseas suppliers) and when the chips were delivered the street
price on them was up over $1000. as i walked out of the campus office
where i picked up the little package with the simms, there were
literally about a dozen professors in the hall outside trying to buy
simms off folks since they were very hard to get. I could have made a
fast $500-600 profit if i had been willing to part with them then
bought them a couple of months later for like $250. being the
lifetime propeller head i am i resisted. that was a month of grad
student pay!

my first mac IIfx with 13" color monitor came in at $7k on the Apple
developer program which at that time was close to half retail. it
sooo fast at the time! it survived a half cup of coffee getting
sucked up into it (coffee under those machines would get sucked up by
convection through some small slots and then short the mother board)
and lived on for years with an 040 accelerator card.

fond memories... Basis108, Mac Plus, Mac SE, Mac IIfx, Powerbook 100,
Powermac 8200, Powerbook duo 230, Powerbook 5300cs, PowerComputing
120, Powermac G4 dual 450, powerbook Ti, G5 dual 2ghz, 17" powerbook
G4...

makes my head hurt to total the money spent on these, but its earned
me a living all the time and been enjoyable!

cheers,

jeff reynolds

On Mar 30, 2006, at 1:00 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com