ANN: Hinduism Today Digital Edition -- Release Candidate 1.0

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Tue Mar 28 06:53:10 EST 2006

Aloha and Namaste from Kapaa, Hawaii and Niteroi, Brasil:

We are pleased to announce, thanks to everyone's hard work, Andre
Garzia's talents and the support of many on this list, the Hinduism
Today Digital Edition -- "Release Candidate 1.0rc.1"  which just
means, all known bugs discovered to date have been squashed (we
hope...) We have been sweating it out here for the last three weeks,
but it came out well, though we are probably a week or more behind
schedule.

It's free and we need (begging for!) testers. Go to:

http://www.hinduismtoday.com/digital/

Concept modeled on Dan Shafer's "SmartEbooks" with the addition of a
few bells and whistles, and a simple, quiet, but hopefully pleasing
graphic design from our design department, this is a not-so-
complicated Revolution Remote Client app, PDF downloader, booter and
back issues manager. An "iMag" for Hinduism Today. Special thanks
goes to Ken Ray for XML lib and Chipp Walters and Chris at Altuit for
altSplash, two libs that really make this work.

The web interface,  back end PostGreSQL are all "driven" by
revolution CGI's. So what you experience from here on out is 100%
Revolution top to bottom (+xhtml+PostGreSql+Apache) (Dan is this
what you mean by a "web app" ??-- if any one wants to the answer to
"how did you do that?" contact me off list)

Our call to testers is: "Hammer on it has hard as you want, break it
if you can!"

Also, everyone is hereby given an "open season license" to send in as
much constructive criticism as you feel inspired to (or not). In the
"Help" section, scroll down and use the link that says "Click here to
send a support Request" (this is deliberately buried, in the UI...
though we might change that later)

In the "About" section scroll all the way to the end to see
Revolution and Revolutionary credits. These links run through a
referrals CGI on our server and I am logging them all to see what
kind of traffic-interest we might get from the large Indian-Hindu
software community that will be downloading this app. Since it is
free, this product is a walking, talking advertisement for Revolution
for those with any interest in the technology behind sit.

Be forewarned, this is a broadband product... at 25-28 megabytes of
PDFs per issue. It will be very interesting to see how hungry people
are for this kind of offering vs how much resistance there will be to
downloading that much data.

We hope you enjoy our new application: (code name "Brasil") and of
course, the Digital Edition itself: the beautiful PDF's of the April
issue of Hinduism Today International Magazine.

Om shanti (peace)

Sivakatirswami, Kauai
Andre, Brasil
Sadhunathan Nadesan, San Diego

p.s. we discovered an obscure issue with Apple's installer: if you
have recent permissions issues on your applications folder, the
reproducable bug is: the installer does not write any application to
disk. Run "Disk Utilities" and fix permissions and it works fine. I
don't  know if there are or can be, similar issues on Windows or not.