Target not working???

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Mon Mar 27 16:41:15 EST 2006

David-

Monday, March 27, 2006, 9:21:13 AM, you wrote:

> All I want to do is to call a handler if it exists in a script. I've
> read up on the message path etc. but not sure how it applies in this
> case. Could you elaborate?

OK. Now I see what you're trying to do here. But I still see two
problems with this:

One, I don't see a way to differentiate messages coming from multiple
sources. If object A responds to B events, then how do you limit it to
responding only to B event messages from object C? What if object D
also generates B events?

Two, I still think you're fighting the "natural" object hierarchy. Why
not have the stack initialize its own objects when it starts up
instead of forcing it from the parent stack? Or more correctly, why
not have the library stack tell each of its controls to initialize
themselves, i.e.,

-- in the library stack
-- untested code
on openStack
  local x

  repeat with x=1 to the number of controls of this stack
    try
      send "ISM_InitializeObject" to control x
    end try
  end repeat
end openStack

on closeStack
  --unregister all objects
end closeStack

Or, if you use setProp handlers instead, you can just say

on openStack
  local x

  repeat with x=1 to the number of controls of this stack
    set the ISM_InitializeObject of control x to empty
  end repeat
end openStack

then you don't have to worry about whether or not the control supports
the ISM_InitializeObject handler - you'll just set a harmless custom
property if it doesn't.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net