Subject: Re: On KeyDown Bug

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon Mar 27 12:30:08 EST 2006

Robert Sneidar wrote:

> I think you missed the point. I DO want the case statement to
> progress without breaks because I want the variable theModifier to be
> ALL of the modifier keys that are being pressed on keyDown. As I
> understand it, case statements without breaks will do that.

No, they won't. Without a break statement, the following code *will be
executed* - i.e. *without* testing the subsequent condition.

e.g.

> put 1 into v
> switch
>    case v=1
>       put 1 after k
>    case v=2
>       put 2 after k
> end switch
> put k

will output "12". The first condition is tested, and it passes that test
- so the "1" is put into K. Then the code falls through (without testing
whether or not "v=2" and the second code fragment is executed - so the
"2" is put after K

> And it  still doesn't explain how I can end up with a Ctrl in
> theModifier  when only the shift key was being held down.

Yes it does :-)

> If anyone would please feel free to paste my snippet (previously
> posted) into a stack and observe what happens, I'd be curious if it
> were just me. I am after all going through a KVM switch and a USB hub.

I no longer have your snippet of code - but if I correctly understand
what you want, you could do something like

   if the optionKey is down then
     put "Opt " after theModifier
   end if
   if  the CommandKey is down then
     put "Cmd " after theModifier
   end if
   if the shiftKey is down then
     put "Shft " after theModifier
   end if
   if  the controlKey is down then
     put "Ctrl " after theModifier
   end if

etc.

If you want to test each condition, it's easier to use 'if's than a
'switch'.