Target not working???

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Mon Mar 27 11:30:34 EST 2006

Dear Dave,

> The idea is that when a Client Stack does a "start using" I want to
> scan all the scripts in the stack and if there is a handler called
> "ISM_InitializeObject", call it and when doing a "stop using" I want
> to call "ISM_FinializeObject".
>
> In order to do this I need to know the stack that invoked the the
> libraryStack and releaseStack handlers.

Suppose instead of (my supposition):

	start using stack "ISM_Library.rev"
	ISM_InitializeObject -- or is this in the library's libraryStack
handler?

The Client Stack did:

	start using stack "ISM_Library.rev"
	send "ISM_InitializeOject" to this stack

In ISM_Library--

	on ISM_InitializeObject
		put the long name of the target into callingStack

BTW, I don't know for a fact that the stack is not the target in the
first instance; but I know for sure it is in the second.

Dave, I'd like to make an observation here without having gotten into
the details of what you are trying to do:

Some time ago on this list a new RR developer coming from a background
in C began a discussion about how difficult it was for him to deal with
the concept of simply placing a message in the message chain

	ISM_InitializeObject

without specific instructions where, or in how many objects, it will
trigger some action

	send "ISM_InitializeObject" to someControl

The former is truly the essence of XTalk syntax, and much of the power
available to RR developers can only be invoked by understanding &
utilizing the message passing hierarchy.

No offense, but unless you feel you totally understand how messages can
travel & be sent, and where & how handlers can be inserted/removed from
the message path, you might want to look into the subject further.  I'm
not saying your approach won't work...just IMF(oolesh)O it leads you on
a path away from the most efficient use of Transcript.

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company