Avoiding line cut-off in a multipage printout

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Sun Mar 26 08:36:55 EST 2006

I have a print routine adapted from something Hugh Senior put in The
Scripter's Scrapbook (thanks Hugh). I may well have done something
stupid to it, but I am making heavy weather of making sure that if
I'm printing more than a single page of text, the last line on any
given page is not cut off so that only part of the line shows.

The issue is that AFAIK, RunRev thinks only in terms of pixels and
not in terms of lines of type. In these circumstances the only way I
can think of to avoid the cutoff is to add up all the formatted
heights of the successive lines until I find I've overflowed my page
area, then backtrack one whole line and print that (I'm thinking of a
generalised routine which will handle lines in different fonts and of
different heights, so I can't simply look at the height of the first
line and work from there).

This works but it seem incredibly clunky. I assume that this problem
has been solved many times, and that maybe there is even a way of
telling RR that you want to print in whole lines but I've somehow
missed it.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Graham