Ftp and cross platform issues...

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri Mar 24 18:12:32 EST 2006

Mark Wieder wrote:

>My windows boxes are behind *two* sets of piggybacked routers, so I
>have an inner and an outer subnet. Back in the Bad Old Days when
>hardware routers were expensive I used to use software firewalls, but
>maintenance ended up being more trouble than it was worth. Now a
>couple of $30 plastic boxes keep my local network traffic local,
>they're cross-platform, and my network can be exposed to the internet
>24/7 without my having to worry about a thing.

The two router approach is a very good one. We always used to refer to
the intermediate network as the DMZ - and eventually realized that the
younger guys were using the name "DMZ" with no clue what it stood for,
what it meant, or why we called it that.

That was on of my "I feel old" moments :-)

>But (sigh) if I had to use a windows laptop I'd probably use the
>internal firewall when I went outside to play.

Nowadays, I find myself reaching for the touchpad even when I'm using a
desktop machine - faster than reaching all the way across for the mouse.
I haven't regularly used anything but a laptop for almost 10 years now.