Very Very Very Basic Question!!!!!

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Mar 23 12:45:40 EST 2006

David Burgun wrote:

> One more question: Is it better to use "the long id of me" or "the
> long name of me" ???????

While the purist will say that a good developer never has two objects
with the same name, I doubt many of us are so pure. :)

When there are two controls on a card with the same name, or two cards
in a stack with the same name, the object with the lowest ordinal number
will be returned, which may or may not be the one you were after.

Long IDs are known to be unique* so they're recommended for absolute
object references.

> Thanks a lot, I really do appreciate you taking the time to look at
> this.

Many years ago (before the Web was invented, in the mid-80s) I got a lot
of help from other programmers via BBSes and such. Then I discovered
NNTP and a whole new world of help opened up.  Then AOL's HyperCard
forum opened and Jacque saved my bacon there many a time.

I've had a lot of help over the years from others online.  Just paying
it forward....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal

* While built-in IDs are always unique to a stack, it's possible to
confuse things if you use the altID property.  That's too lengthy a
subject to get into here, but as long as you don't use it then long IDs
will be a trustworthy friend for a lifetime.