Automated testing

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Thu Mar 23 10:30:43 EST 2006

Richard, et al:

> Do any of you do automated testing?  If so, what do you test and how?

The SDB Test Client stack that ships with Serendipity Library has an
automated testing mode, where SDB database commands are called at
random and a log of the last 25 calls and their results is maintained.
Before releasing a major change to SDB, I run automated testing in
single user mode for 24 hours, server & one client for 24 hours, and
then server and multiple clients for at least another 24 hours.

I have mentioned before that automated testing led me to a bug that
would have been very hard to find otherwise:

	Command A could be called all day with no problem
	Command B could be called all day with no problem -- so long has
Command A had not been called.
	Once Command A was called, the next time Command B was called the
system crashed.

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company