somewhat OT : Rev cgi & Safari

Martin Baxter mb.ur at harbourhost.co.uk
Thu Mar 23 08:47:51 EST 2006

jbv wrote:

>> Don't know about safari versions.
>> Are you styling the form elements with css at all? I have known this to
>> cause serious browser-specific issues in the past.
>> Are the names of your form elements robust - all safe characters - if
>> they are somehow getting encoded by the browser your cgi might not
>> recognise them? (A Very Long shot I know, but...)
>> What kinds of elements go missing? Any pattern?
>
> Martin,
>
> Thanks for your reply...
>
> yes, I use css with all form elements and those that get
> skipped are mainly <select> elements with "onchange"
> js code...

That's a scenario where I have seen issues. I've seen some browsers get
really confused by css styled select elements. One thing I have seen
personally (actually in ie macOS 9 IIRC but not in any recent browsers)
is confusion over the actual position of the select element, - e.g. it
gets activated when clicking in adjacent whitespace, but not on the
element itself. If possible I would simply remove styling from these and
see if that affects what happens.

I have also seen browsers freeze when a select element is changed. This
sort of thing might be a javascript issue, but could also conceivably be
related to css if some bad code in the browser itself is making
assumptions about the select element having been drawn directly by the
OS. A javascript error need not freeze the browser of course, it could
easily "fail silently" from the users perspective. The value change
presumably then wouldn't be applied to your hidden elements. Since you
are reliant on javascript, and that is notorious for browser related
issues, it is quite possible there are some js bugs in the particular
safari version. So I would have a close look at the relevant onchange
routines to ensure they are as robust as possible, make few or ideally
no environmental assumptions etc.

Martin Baxter