somewhat OT : Rev cgi & Safari

Martin Baxter mb.ur at harbourhost.co.uk
Thu Mar 23 06:30:46 EST 2006

jbv wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm using Rev cgi and have a problem debugging a script :
> it's a (rather) complex subscription page to a website, with
> a sophisticated form and javascript functions, and on the server
> side a cgi with a mySQL connection.
> Everything works fine except for 1 version of Safari. The agent
> information for that version is :
> Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/312.8
> (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/312.6
>
> in short, some elements of the HTML form are skipped when the
> user clicks the submit button...
> And to make things even more difficult (to reproduce and correct
> the bug, or find a workaround), this seems to happen only
> sporadically; i mean that using that specific version of Safari
> doesn't systematically lead to the bug...
> so I guess it must be a combination of the form structure, the
> javascript code and the data entered in the form...
> the tricky thing being that when forms elements are skipped, I
> have no idea of what were the data entered by users...
>
> I'm not sure what question I should ask now, coz it's hard to
> make any diagnosis without careful checking the whole code...
>
> But does anyone have a clue of which version of Safari it is ?
>
> And could anyone provide some good advice about a methodology
> to reproduce and track down the problem ?
>
> Thanks,
> JB

Don't know about safari versions.
Are you styling the form elements with css at all? I have known this to
cause serious browser-specific issues in the past.
Are the names of your form elements robust - all safe characters - if
they are somehow getting encoded by the browser your cgi might not
recognise them? (A Very Long shot I know, but...)
What kinds of elements go missing? Any pattern?

Martin Baxter