Weirdness Passing Messages

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Mar 23 06:04:20 EST 2006

Hi,

As far as I know (I have asked this question on this list before) and
according to the documentation, "me" always refers to the object that
the script is running in.

Are you suggesting I change "me" to "long name of x" just to see if
it makes a difference or in general?

If you mean in general, then this will mean that a lot of the
reusability of code that is so good in RunRev will vanish and make
developing Apps MUCH slower. In fact if I have to do this then I
would seriously consider not using RunRev anymore.

I have lots of fields that all refer to "me", to change them now
would take forever and result in a lot of hand-tweaking every time I
want to re-use a Group.

Here is the problem again, described in simpler terms:

1  StackMain:Card1:ObjectA:mouseUp   - Calls Function
StackUtil:PutMessage("MessageX")
2  StackUtil:PutMessage                             - Calls Handler
StackMain:Card2:ObjectX:MessageX (via send)
3  StackMain:Card2:ObjectX:MessageX - Put "MessageX" into me and then
Calls Function StackUtil:PutMessage("MessageY")
4  StackUtil:PutMessage                            - Calls Handler
StackMain:Card2:ObjectY:MessageY (via send)
5  StackMain:Card2:ObjectY:MessageY - Put "MessageY" into me

In this case the "put" statement at step 5 does NOT put "MessageY"
into  StackMain:Card2:ObjectY (the object is unchanged), but the
"put" at step 3 works ok.

However, this does work:

1  StackMain:Card2:ObjectX:mouseUp   - Calls Function
StackUtil:PutMessage("MessageY")
2  StackUtil:PutMessage                             - Calls Handler
StackMain:Card2:ObjectY:MessageY (via send)
3  StackMain:Card2:ObjectY:MessageY - Put "MessageY" into me

What could be going wrong here? Is it that I am mixing functions and
handlers?

How can I test to see if the context is the problem?

Any ideas on how to get this working would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot
All the Best
Dave