Making the move...

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Wed Mar 22 16:48:42 EST 2006

Sarah, Mark, et al:

> arrays are things that don't come
> naturally to me, so I probably ignore them when they would be useful.

Arrays, in the traditional sense (ie: element(1)...element(n)), were
part and parcel of my programming instruction in BASIC and my first
professional programming in FORTRAN; but I rarely use them today.

But Transcript keyed arrays make wonderful run-time tables.

SDB Client/Server uses:

local clientDbList -- array by clientId:dbId1, dbId2, etc
local dbClientList -- array by dbId:client id,writeAccessType,current
position
local indexList -- array by dbId:cardIndex
local lockedRecordList -- array by dbId: record id, client id
local sdbDbPathList -- array by dbId: db stack path, autoLockOn,
readLocksEnforced
local sdbFieldDelimiter -- array by record type
local sdbFieldEdits -- array by record type
local sdbFieldList -- array by recordType: field name list
local sdbTranslationList -- array by clientId: 1=ASCII>ANSI, 0=None, or
-1=ANSI>ASCII + tab & ipcProtocol [tp,ae,pc,dc,sf]

so...

clientDbList[sdbClientId] gives me a list of the ids of all dbs the
client has open
dbClientList[sdbDbId] gives me a list of all clients using the db,
including access type & current record position
indexList[sdbDbId] gives me the index to the db
lockedRecordList[sdbDbId] gives me a list of the ids of all locked
records along with the id of the user with the lock

etc.

I find this very powerful and easier to implement than alternative
syntax.

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company