Making the move...

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Wed Mar 22 10:34:06 EST 2006

Hi Geoff,

>  -- breaking out routines for local vs. server connection

You're ignoring my notes: application requirement: the calling syntax
must be identical for client, server, and single user.

>  -- breaking out a routine for when we're just counting records that
> match vs. returning data

Why? It is not used anywhere else but in this handler.  Like Chipp, if
I find a need for the logic in another handler, I'll generalize it.

>  -- breaking out a routine that, given a itemList describing a set of
> fields, returns the data from those fields

Why? It is not used anywhere else but in this handler.  Like Chipp, if
I find a need for the logic in another handler, I'll generalize it.
And actually, theSDRecordMatches function handles most of that logic.

> to me a routine like this is more than five times as difficult to
> understand/debug/manage than the five twenty line routines that might
> replace it.

Where's the beef!  Show me the money!  Divide findSDRecord into five
twenty-line routines and post the result.

I must say, Geoff, you seem to have a penchant for splitting handlers
when there is no need to do so.

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company