DRM for Images and Text in Stacks

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Tue Mar 21 04:38:25 EST 2006

OK further testing I finally settled on a compromise taking Key Ray's
suggestion but not using  compressed imageData,  I don't see any
advantage (I could be missing something) to using compressed
imageData over simple  jpg storage. Either format would be equally
hackable...

I think this comes close to making the images at least some  what
obscurely stored.

--create a substack
--import images into custom props as jpegs,
--One could put these props in something a "available" as a card
property or something very obscure, like a transparent invisible
graphic.
--set the uStuff1 of btn "obscureObject" to (url ("binfile:/somePath/
foo.jpg"))
--scripts then can call the images for display:
	 put the uStuff of btn "obscureObject" into img "DisplayImageNow"
-- then encrypt the stack with a password. (all this does is prevent
another developer from seeing the scripts that display the custom prop)

That's about as  good as it gets, I think...some developer who was
really, really intent on stealing your images might dig through every
object in the stack, find the  object with custom props, surmise
these were image data and extract them from the msg box... but this
is a highly unlikely scenario... as our managing editor pointed out
today in a staff meeting, discussing this very issue of how  much
energy we need to put into protecting images, he said that all these
years, anyone could make  some hi-res scans of our printed magazine
and get a pretty decent image. But, no one  has actually done this.

Still, on principle, I think we need a strong DRM option and I have
put in a feature request into bugzilla for simple  option to block
access to a substack from inside the IDE... I still need to be able
to say for example, to NewsCom photo agency (who we use a lot of
photos from), or Thomas Kelly (world famous photographer who does
shoots for us in India, Sri Lanka and Nepal) with a honest face: "No,
people cannot extract the images, not even another revolution
developer...you are welcome to test it yourself if you wish."

--right now I cannot do that....if our managing editor asks "are the
images locked up," I have to say "well, almost...but not quite"

Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
www.HinduismToday.com