DRM for Images and Text in Stacks

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sat Mar 18 04:40:22 EST 2006

1) The "bad guys" are in my "dream world" are other owners of the Rev
IDE, which has in this future world, become as ubiquitous as Acrobat
Professional. It implies that Rev actually does become wildly
popular... In that  world, not all will be as scrupulous as our
current obviously rapidly growing group of Rev users. The "bad guys"
are people in need of content for their projects or web sites who use
our content. It's already happening... with images from our web sites
now, which is fine because we own it all. Within 72 hours  of going
live with "http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/dws/" the
site was indexed by Google, hit on by users to browse and others took
images which started appearing on other servers, which was fine in
this case because we owned it all. "Bad" implies that these people
are "criminals" but actually we don't think like that at all, we tend
to deploy stuff rather freely and it looks that way to everyone and
so they take it and re use it and we never do much about it...
"share with the world" model.. It save an enormous amount of mental
reestate that would other wise be invested in protection and yet
still be able to draw some "lines" inside the media itself where
users see "can't go there..."

2) Yes, all the options  for encryption and storing the media
externally are all there. But I would still

	a) like to be able to have the media in the stack and
	b) see a drop dead simple option to block viewing of substacks in
the IDE...

because i) encrypt, decrypt and display is sluggish, of course  you
script around even that by unpacking media in advance of display..
but then  ii) CMS starts to get  complicated if  you separate the
media from the stack. it gets back to use of mental re-estate
invested in the "protection" business. It's just so "neat" to have
it  all in the stack. This makes it very portable, and, side benefit:
scripting the  presentation to an amazingly "baby" simple set of  "Go
Next Card" handlers with a few transitions. Or, if one is in a "do it
all on one card" mood.., then hide and show  handlers...

Anyway, thanks for all the solutions.. I've put in my feature
request, something as brainless as "set security" in the IDE, check
that box for the substack and that's the beginning and end of  time
and effort in the protection business. 'til  then all  your good
ideas are in my tool box... I'll try some.

Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
www.HimalayanAcademy.com,
www.HinduismToday.com