Making the move...

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Fri Mar 17 20:02:37 EST 2006

> I agree with what you say, Mark, but I think it isn't the
> whole picture. In the early 80s, a guy at a Japanese steel
> company explained to me how his time was being taken up with
> visiting Americans determined to learn the secrets of
> Japanese TQC.  He felt they were wasting their time. Not
> because they were incapable of learning, but because there
> was nothing to learn. He said that Westerners will debate and
> evaluate various methods until they decide on the best
> approach. Japanese corporations, on the other hand, will take
> any method, good or bad, and make it work. Having
> subsequently worked with a number of large Japanese
> corporations, I think his comments were very shrewd. In other
> words, it's not that Japanese methods transferred to the west
> are doomed to failure, but rather that any method adopted by
> Japanese corporations is doomed to success. (But that was in
> the 80s, and plenty has changed since then.)

That's true - I don't think the mentality has changed since that time,
though economic shifts did have its social impact. Failure really isn't an
option - they make it work. But it is possible to use Japanese methods and
have strong, cohesive, quality minded teams, even with a few Americans
walking on the tatami mats with muddy shoes ;-) It is just extremely hard to
achieve.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
Worldwide Business Operations