[Slightly OT] Amazon's New Storage Plan - Someone Do a Rev Interface?

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Thu Mar 16 21:51:03 EST 2006

Andre-

Wednesday, March 15, 2006, 10:56:54 AM, you wrote:

I spent about 20 minutes today at the Software Developer's Conference
in the south bay with one of the S3 developers from Amazon, and he
confirmed most of what we have been thinking...

> I read the docs, there appear to be no magical/automated interface
> for BT.

This is true. BT is supported as a distribution mechanism on the
client end in order to minimize distribution costs. But there's no
other explicit BT support on the server end. Nor, I think, does any
need to be there.

> What appears to exist is that if you create a public object, which is
> a resource that can be accessed by a URL without authentication, then

Yes and no. By default when you upload an object it's not publicly
accessible. There's a call in the api to make it public if you want.
Otherwise even with a BT client you still need to authenticate.

> if we had HMAC/SHA1 routines, we could build a S3 library in 20
> minutes, it's very easy.

They're only supporting HMAC/SHA1 for now, but are open to other
authentication methods. There are public fora at the AWS web site for
developer discussions. The Amazon guy I talked with said that he's
also seen an SHA1 encoder on the web, written in Javascript, of all
things.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net