[OT] Spotlight and Tiger

Ian Wood revlist at azurevision.co.uk
Thu Mar 16 04:23:19 EST 2006

On 16 Mar 2006, at 04:18, Kay C Lan wrote:

> On 3/16/06, Stephen Barncard <stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is anyone else annoyed with this horrible 'feature' of an
>> otherwise great
>> OS?
>
> You miss the most annoying feature of all. Spotlight is invariably
> WRONG. I
> fail to find folders or files which blantanly exist. The number of
> times I
> typed in the exact file/folder name and spotlight fails to find it
> is mind
> boggling. It has nothing to do with permissions because I check.

Sounds like the database files have got seriously corrupted somehow.
If you are happy in the terminal have a look at the two following
pages, which have some instructions and experiences with renewing the
database:
<http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?
story=20050424201429961&query=spotlight>
<http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/
963005047731>

Edit - an easier way - go to the privacy tab in the Spotlight
preference pane, drag all your partitions in, then remove them again.
Note that the rebuild may take several hours...

Ian