filter question

Phil Davis davis.phil at comcast.net
Tue Mar 14 18:39:56 EST 2006

Chris Sheffield wrote:
> I'm not really 100% sure to be honest.  I think it's because in my  case
> I have to account for filtering with only a partial string.  So  for
> example, if my user enters "a", the filter needs to return any  records
> where say the third item of each line begins with "a".

Right. That's where my solution breaks down. It assumes that the
"Filter" field is always complete before filtering occurs.

I wonder if it would work with the addition of "*" at both ends of the
Filter field? I don't see why that wouldn't work - then the filter will
only be looking for a string of contiguous chars in that item of each
line, rather than requiring the item to start or end with the chars.

Phil Davis