Making the move...

Wally Rodriguez wlists at fireworksmm.com
Tue Mar 14 15:45:47 EST 2006

Hello Michael:

As a non-developer type I might be able to give you yet another
perspective on Rev. I own a post-production finishing house for
commercials. My days are crazy with just my normal job and then I
have to manage the IT needs and I'm also in charge of engineering.

I did a very small amount of HyperCard programming back in '91-'93
and have put together a few filemaker pro databases, but basically
have no experience as a programmer.

The fact that the program can switch from "programming" mode to "run"
mode while you work makes it very easy and quick to see what you're
going to get.

Using Revolution I have been able to:

1. Automate our web page generation for client feedback. This is a
relatively complex setup that reads movies placed in various folders
on our webserver and with some user input, generates password-
protected php web pages that look every bit as good as others out there.

2. Created a touch-screen interface for iTunes to run on a powerbook
in my car.

3. Created a slate generator (slates are the identifiers used in
commercials). This program combines some background image with text
to create sequential countdowns for our video projects. It runs on XP
and OSX. In the month or so it's been running it has generated over
2000 images!

I'm in the process of building a home-control application that acts
as a client to iRed (an infrared remote server). The cool thing about
this app is that it's allowed me to rescue a couple of old machines
to use as controllers. The standalone client currently runs on OS9,
XP tablet edition and OSX. This in itself is pretty amazing.

All of this while doing the rest of my work and without looking back.
I strongly recommend the product.

Two things, start with v 2.6.1, (especially if you're going to be
developing on windows) and I understand that there is a deal where
you get Constellation for free. It's worth the $50 it costs anyway,
but free is soo much better! :-)

So I find that it's the easiest way to write code that can actually
do something without having to lear a complex and cryptic language.

W.