The templateField Keyword

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Mon Mar 13 03:29:47 EST 2006

On 13 Mar 2006, at 00:03, Gregory Lypny wrote:

> 	What you say below is not how I expect templateField to work based
> on its description.  I thought that setting the templateField was a
> one-time thing and that it remained in effect until it was reset.
> Your handler based on the createField message would seem to make
> templateField unnecessary because you're changing the style of
> newly created fields using a script after they've been created,
> whereas the point of templateField is to set those properties
> before.  Am I misunderstanding what you've intended?

I think Dan's reply clears it up. There's no need to reset the
templateField, although I learned it was a "good idea" back when I
started with Metacard, and so have followed that advice like a good
boy. ;-) I think the idea is that by immediately resetting the
templatexxxxx, you don't leave any surprises around for the next time
you create an object. But if you're solely in charge of what gets
created, then I guess it doesn't matter.

The main point I wanted to make was that you should use "create
field" in your own script to get a field that follows the template
settings you have made. I don't think you can rely on the tool
palette in the IDE to respect the settings you have made. I say this
without knowing how the tool palette creates objects; I was just
assuming it was likely to set the templateField itself before doing
so. I also wasn't sure what the palette does after it has created an
object, but Dan's reply suggests it sets back to the state it was in
before.

Sorry for any confusion.

Dave