use-revolution Digest, Vol 30, Issue 23

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 03:21:47 EST 2006

On 3/12/06, Marielle Lange <mlange at lexicall.org> wrote:

> A paradox is that the fact that you don't make money
> out of your hobby makes you more demanding about what you pay out of
> your "hobby" budget. Strangely, you become a lot more unforgiving of
> any default in the product you bought... because your money has been
> spent, you cannot afford to buy a replacement before a few months.

Very well said!

And I guess a very difficult dilemma for a marketing department to figure
out how to handle. I know it's been said on this list that Apple got it
wrong with HyperCard. All those users who got it for free and wanting
support etc. For Apple all pain for no 'direct' financial gain.

I guess they may have learnt their lesson as iTunes still remains free, even
though the rest of the the iLife package you need to pay for. iTunes also
happens to be the Apple product that I've sent in the must 'user
feedback':-)

Let's hope others can develop a thick skin for the whinges (and I've
obviously been one) so they can benefit from a growing user base:-)