The End of Dreamcard?

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Fri Mar 3 21:46:28 EST 2006

At 3:08 PM +0000 3/3/06, Runtime Revolution Ltd wrote:

>We wrote to you previously to let you know that with the release of
>2.7, Runtime Revolution is no longer selling Dreamcard to new
>customers.

Derrr... Sorry, I just don't get it. Three possibilities occur to me.

--the Product Previously Known as Dreamcard is getting a new name and
a makeover.

--There is going to be some change in the upgrade path, so that
Dreamcard users are going to have to purchase new licenses at some
point.

--Runtime Revolution has decided not to sell the stripped down
version of their flagship product anymore, so Dreamcard is being
discontinued. Users who want to continue playing will have to upgrade
to Revolution Studio.

The website seems to suggest the latter interpretation. But then
again, it seems possible that Dreamcard has been renamed "Revolution
Media."

I'm wondering if RR has decided to abandon the nonprofessional
self-taught end users like me -- the kind of people who taught
themselves hyperCard 20 years ago. Maybe there are too few of us to
make the product commercially viable.

Anyway, somebody please clue me.

Tim