Transcript and Dot Notation

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Thu Mar 2 04:58:17 EST 2006

And some of us don't know anything *but* xTalk, and  I'm happy i don;'t

dot notation and such... let's be very careful...find a way to do the
same thing in verbose xTalk and it will live...infect the language
with obscurity and it will die a slow death from the inside out.

If everyone commented  their code well, maybe we could live with
obscure syntax.. but...

While extending the range of functionality can be a good thing...Do
not underestimate importance of three "viabilities:"

1. the post production comprehensibility
2. revisit the objects yourself 6 months later, does it still make sense
3. if you delegate the code base  to someone else, can they actually
read it

These three "viabilities" can in themselves determine if the language
will live or die.

Go Live is almost dead... did anyone read Adobe's white paper on the
level of abstraction of GoLive's auto generated JAVA? Adobe flatly
stated (my paraphrase) "You will never be able to understand this
code; you will never be able to intelligently touch or tweak it, and
we have no intention of engineering GoLive to generate intelligible
code, if your secretaries use the WSWIG interface and produce web
garbage, it's not our problem. If it works in Safari, but not I.E.
and there is no way on earth to debug the page, it's not our problem.
If you think you will ever be able to pass the corpus of web content
created by our program to the next generation staffers, forget it."

May StackWare never walk down that path...