how do you get the evaluated value of a system variable rather than the literal text value in the case of a system variable like $HOME?

Josh Mellicker josh at dvcreators.net
Fri Jun 30 20:46:24 EDT 2006

Sorry if this has been answered many times, I couldn't find it.

My noob brain is twisted...

Let's say a stored destination file path is:

$HOME,/Applications/

But if you say:

item 1 of tFilePath & item 2 of tFilePath, instead of what you want:

/Users/Eggbert/Applications

you get literally:

"$HOME/Applications"

--

I know you could make a series of case statements:

case item 1 of tFilePath = "$HOME" then put $HOME & item 2 of
tFilePath into tFilePath

and cover all the other specialFolders and other possibilities, but
that is lame, right?