Revolution Media Presentation Viewable on Web?

Dan Shafer revolutionary.dan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 03:20:43 EDT 2006

To me, the "units sold" and "installed base" numbers are guidelines but not
real indicators of a particular system's real penetration which is measured
in something I'd call "units in daily use by humans."  That figure can't be
obtained, of course, but one figure that CAN be obtained is the mix of
computer operating systems visiting various Web sites with logs that can
track the OS in use.

Given that a large majority of machines in human use at any given time are
navigating the Internet, that would be at least a useful measurement of the
degree of actual market penetration. There are a LOT of WIndows machines
(and, I'm sure, old Macs as well) being used for doorstops, paperweights,
and lying in landfills and other states of disuse.

By that standard, OS X and Linux run 3-5% each and Windows at just about
90%. The stats I find most reliable are these: