[OT] Market Share

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Jun 29 16:28:56 EDT 2006

On 6/29/06, Kay C Lan <lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com> wrote:

> If 90% of home PCs run Windows and 10% run OSX, yet 50% of the Windows users
> use a pirated copy whilst for OSX it is only 5%, what is the market share?

Where do you find this statistic? In America, regarding XP, I'm SURE
it's wrong, as MS's copy protection features are absolutely the
industry's best. Microsoft can now detect a pirated machine and
completely disable it from being used. All that's needed is a
connection to the internet. For anyone wanting not to go through many
'format and replace all' scenarios, they would be wise to pay for XP.
Even hacked copies from China don't securely bypass MS's latest copy
protection. If you don't believe me, just try getting one of the
latest security updates from MS on a hacked version of XP and see what
happens.

OTOH, Apple has no copy protection on their software, so my *GUESS* is
that OSX is pirated more often (% wise) than WinXP. I have a separate
registered version of WinXP for each PC I have (5). Not to mention,
it's hard nowadays to EVEN BUY a computer without XP already
installed.

One good think about XP, is they don't hit you up every 18 months for
another $125 for a new OS with minor changes like Apple does.

-Chipp