Get a Free Copy of Shade 7 Designer - 3D Software

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jun 29 15:27:46 EDT 2006

Malte Brill wrote:

> Shao wrote:
>> And so would having publicly accessible forums for reading..
>
> *nod*
> I really can´t see any benefit in ruling out people who might want to
> be lurking for a while. One still can disable guest posts to avoid
> spam attacks and motivate people to join if they have questions.
> Seing that there *is* contents to find in a forum makes it easier for
> me  join. Why should I, if there only is a meager announcements forum
> and a converting to revolution forum with a single post by the site
> admin shown when not logged in? As far as I can see there even is no
> announcment whatsoever that there is more to find, if you register.
> If I wouldn´t know, I would think it´s not worth joining, as I would
> not find anything there...

Hiding from customers, intended or not, rarely sends a positive message.

Given the number of people who've been requesting guest read-only access
to the forum (not to mention the self-evident benefit of doing so), if
the plan is to keep those forums around for a while it would seem
reasonable to expect guest access in place as soon as could be
conveniently done.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal